I found a delicious brownie cookie recipe the other day and I knew I had to try it! But then I remembered that I had seen a peppermint icing recipe and decided that I needed to combine the two!
These turned out really yummy and very festive. Perfect to deliver to neighbors, take to that last minute cookie exchange or bring to the last day of work at the office before your holiday break! Here's the how-to:
Brownie Peppermint Whoopie Pies
Brownie Cookie Ingredients:
- 1 (18.3 oz) pkg brownie mix
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp peppermint extract
- approx 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candy canes
Peppermint Icing Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 Tbs vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp peppermint extract
- 2 tsp crushed and sifted candy cane
- 1 Tbs + water
- Pinch of salt
- Prepare and bake the cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together brownie mix, flour, brown sugar and salt.
- Add eggs and milk and stir.
- Add melted butter, vanilla and peppermint extract, stir until well blended.
- Drop dough onto a greased cookie sheet or use parchment paper.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- While cookies are cooling, make the icing recipe.
- Prepare icing:
- Beat butter and powdered sugar with an electric mixer for about 2 minutes
- Add vanilla, water whipping cream, and salt.
- Whip on high until fluffy, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Continue to add water, one tsp at a time until icing consistency is perfect.
- When cookies are completely cool, ice the bottom of one cookie with a generous amount of icing.
- Place another cookie on top of the icing, forming a cookie sandwich
- Roll edges of icing in crushed candy cane
(this recipe was inspired by here and somewhere else that I can no longer find :(
I participate in the link parties found here.
Subscribe to Simply Designing by Email