If you're anything like me, you have two bags of unopened cranberries in your freezer.
I'm not sure why, but when something is so seasonal but yet freezes, I have this compulsive need to buy more then I need. So. I have 2 bags of unopened cranberries in my freezer.
And then I happened to have 3 pears that were on their way out.
By pure chance, I found a recipe that allowed me to use both ingredients and turn them into a yummy delicious sauce that is out-of-this-world-amazingly-yummy.
I could eat it by the spoonful.
Cranberry Pear Sauce
(adapted from here)
· 3 large ripe pears, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
· 1 cup whole, fresh cranberries
· ¼ heaping tsp cinnamon
· Dash of ground cloves
· Dash of nutmeg
· ¼ tsp ground ginger
· 2 Tbs packed brown sugar
· 3/8 cup water
1. Combined the prepared pears, cranberries and all other ingredients in a heavy stockpot on the stove
2. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally
3. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered until the fruit is very tender (about 30 minutes)
4. Uncover the pot and continue simmering over medium-low heat until about half of the liquid has evaporated, about 10-20 minutes, stirring occasionally
5. Remove from heat and either mash the fruit with a potato masher for a chunky consistency or put it in the blender for a smooth consistency
6. Cover and refrigerate or serve immediately, will keep for about a week
Would be delicious served over pork chops, French toast, vanilla ice cream etc.
I even put this in small batches in the freezer; we’ll see how it works!
I participate in the link parties found here.
Subscribe to Simply Designing by Email