There are a couple of men in my family that enjoy fishing and one (my husband) that is very excited that we are soon moving to a city located on the shore of Lake Ontario (salmon fishing, anyone?). I made a little box of flies like this for my brother several years ago and I thought it would make a great, simple Father's Day gift. It only takes a few minutes to put together and with some hand tied fishing flies you have something really special for your dad, husband, brother or grandpa.
I'll walk you through it:
To finish it up, wrap the box with twine and attach a simple tag and you have a great little gift that you can be proud to give.
I don't know about your dad or husband, but I know that my guy is going to love this gift a lot more than a pair of socks.
That's it! Simple, right? If you have any questions, let me know. I'm happy to help!
- Box or tin (I got mine here)
- Foam core or cardboard
- A scrap of fabric
- Burlap (you could also use burlap ribbon)
- Patterned paper (the fish paper is from The Paper Studio and was purchased at Hobby Lobby)
- Fishing flies (most big sporting goods stores will have these but you can also order them several different places online. Search "hand tied flies")
- Hemp twine (any twine will do, really)
- Tag (I stamped mine, but just writing on it would be great too).
- Marker or pen
- Box cutter
- Adhesive of choice--super sticky double sided tape and hot glue are good choices. Duct tape works for taping the fabric to the foam core as it won't be visible on the finished project.
- Rootin' Tootin' Father's Day Free Printable and Gift Idea
- Chocolate Race Cars
- Outdoor Landscaping: DIY Flower Tower
I would love for you to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pintrest and via email.
I participate in the link parties found here.
What a lovely gift idea. It is simple and something that any fisherman would love. Great first post Jill.
what a perfect gift! my husband loves fly fishing so this would be perfect for him 🙂
Heidi @ Moms Crafty Space
What a great idea! My dad would absolutely LOVE this!
Thanks for the positive feedback, y'all!