Deep cleaning every part of your home is important and so today I am excited to chat more about how to clean a mattress with you. Yup, that's right, we are going to get down and dirty and talk about mattresses. You should clean a mattress every six months, and if you need a reminder, you can go ahead and write it down on my free 2018 Monthly Calendar HERE. Even if your mattress doesn't have any stains on it, it is still a good idea to clean your mattress because it does accumulate skin, sweat, dust, and germs. And cleaning a mattress every six months can help to keep your mattress clean and in the best shape possible. So keep reading to learn how to clean a mattress easily.
Thank you so HomeRight for sponsoring this post. All opinions are mine. Affiliate links are included for your convenience.
How to Clean a Mattress
Even with the best of intentions, and faithfully using mattress toppers/pads/etc. dust, dust mites, germs and dead skin cells all end up in/on your mattress. Ew right!? So cleaning your mattress is really important. Here are my favorite steps to clean a mattress and how to clean mattress stains too.
- Spray Thieves Household Cleaner (or your favorite cleaner) onto your mattress. Lightly spraying your mattress with thieves cleaner will help to remove odors and can also help to remove any mattress stains you may have. If you do want to remove a stain from a mattress, take a moment to scrub the stain out with your cleaner and a rag.
- Sprinkle baking soda on your mattress and let it sit for a few minutes. Baking soda will help to absorb the moisture from the cleaning spray and also help to wick away any odors that may be on your mattress. If you clean a mattress with baking soda regularly, it can help to keep your mattress smelling fresh and clean.
- Vacuum your mattress with a vacuum attachment. Be sure to get in all the cracks, crevices and corners. Vacuuming your mattress will help to remove any layers of dirt and dust from your mattress top.
- Use a HomeRight SteamMachine to steam clean your mattress. Steam cleaning your mattress with hot steam heat can help to kill germs and dust mites that are living inside of your mattress. Ew. I know. Just ew. You will want to add distilled water to your SteamMachine and allow it to heat up properly. Then you will add your fabric attachment to the SteamMachine and then clean away! Go HERE to learn more about using a SteamMachine and step-by-step instructions to steam clean your mattress. It is really super easy to use and only takes minutes, but it is such a great way to clean a mattress fully. And then you can store all your SteamMachine accessories in their Accessory Bag.
- Allow the mattress to dry completely before putting sheets and bedding back onto your bed.
As a precautionary measure, we always use waterproof mattress pads on all of our mattresses. This does help to keep any fluids and stains off of the bed. But it isn't foolproof and so it is still important to clean your mattress a couple of times a year.
Things you may want to Clean a Mattress:
- HomeRight SteamMachine
- SteamMachine Accessory Bag (to keep all of your accessories in)
- Thieves Household Cleaner
- Baking Soda
- Waterproof Mattress Pad
The HomeRight SteamMachine is super easy to use and I love their new Accessory Bag to hold all of the parts and pieces and accessories that go along with the SteamMachine. I have used this SteamMachine to iron wrinkles out of curtains and to steam a suit! This is also really fantastic for cleaning basically every part of your home (especially your bathrooms!). I love having my SteamMachine handy in my home.
You might also enjoy: