I was so excited to be able to guest post on Design Dazzle as a Summer Camp counselor! Today I want to share with you my post that was originally posted on Design Dazzle: Melted Crayon Abstract Art!
This is a really fun and simple kid craft that is really perfect to beat summer time boredom.
There are only a few items that you will need to create this really fun crayon project:
- Crayons (don't skimp on these, you will need a large box of them and don't buy an inexpensive brand, Crayola works best)
- Hot Glue Gun
- Blow Dryer
First you will hot glue the crayons to the top of the canvas. You can put the crayons in any order you want, but the colors will mix when melted so I prefer to keep similar colors together. We laid ours out in rainbow order.
Then use your blow dryer to melt the crayons!
A few things to keep in mind:
- your crayons will melt in the direction you aim the blow dryer, so be sure to aim your blow dryer downwards
- the wax will splatter so if possible, you might want to do this outside
- the wax gets really hot, and will splatter so, don't actually have your child hold the canvas while blowing it 🙂 this just made a really cute photo to get the point across!
Melt the crayons until your desired look is achieved!
I know we will be spending a lot of time creating and doing art projects together this summer! And I hope that has given you a little inspiration to create as well!
If you are looking for further summer activities come and check out these:
- How to Make Ice Cream in a Bag
- Spelling Word Flowers Free Printable
- How to Make Homemade Butter in a Jar
I would love for you to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pintrest and via email.
Jessica @ Sunny Stitching
I did this a few years ago with my daughter and it was great fun! We used some already used crayons and took the paper off, so there was contrast in length and width of them all. It created a really nice look!